Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Kind of Raptor is This?

© 2009 Albert A Rasch




I was hoping that some of my new falconer friends could help me identfy this raptor. I think it is a red shouldered hawk, but I'm not sure. I used my Audubon Field guide to help me narrow it down.



Notice the broken barring across the chest. That's what has me somewhat confused as it doesn't match any of the pictures I have in my book.


Unfortunately I had the smaller of my two point and shoot cameras, so the resolution isn't as good as it could be.


He was hanging around with a sandhill crane that was taking a breather during the middle of the day. I was out scouting for a suburban hunting spot. I may have found some, so there will be more to follow!



Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Hunt Continues...

3 comments:

Bob said...

Pale Florida form of the Red-Shouldered Hawk, I'd guess. See here for a photo that nearly matches yours.

Bob

R. Gabe Davis said...

I couldn,t say without seeing in person but if it was a little small for a red shoulder could have been a broad winged hawk wintering in florida.

Albert A Rasch said...

Bob,

It sure does look like the "Pale Florida Form" on your link. Thanks for the intell.

Albert