Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend Recap 3/28/10

© 2010 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5. trochronicles.blogspot.com
Wildlife of the Suburbs!

There's tons of wildlife here in Florida, if you look for it! This week was exceptional in that I have been pretty busy saying hello to all sorts of the local fauna!

This fellow spent a good thirty minutes in front of my home digging through the pine bark nuggets that they use for mulch around the palm trees.


Red Shouldered Hawk

A couple of Sandhill cranes  with their chicks have been pretty friendly too!  I bumped ito them three times this week. I've been carrying a half loaf of bread with me to feed the ducks, but I haven't found any. But the Sandhills came through! And yesterday they brought out their chicks for me to see!


Friendly Sandhill Crane


Hey Mister!


And their long legged chicks!

As if that wasn't enough, I also saw Black Vulture chicks too!  At first I didn't know what two vultures were doing in a powerline cut. I really thought that the big, round, fuzzy, light brown objects were either a bloated possum or coon. But then they moved!  I  hit the bike brakes and skidded to a stop, trying to pull my camera out of my pocket at the same time. Those fat babies were so dang ugly, that they must've been the cutest thing I've ever seen! Alas, they hopped into the underbrush before I could get my camera out. I've gone back to the same area three times, but I still haven't caught up to them.

All in all a pretty good week!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Member: Bagram Tent Club
Member: Hunting Sportsmen of the United States HSUS (Let 'em sue me.)
The Hunt Continues...

The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was awesome Albert, thanks for sharing. It is this sort of down time where I am neither here nor there where i venture out to do odd stuff.
If it makes any sense sometimes you just have to take a step back, take a breath and regroup.

Anonymous said...

Right on, Albert! I love the sounds of the sandhill - sort of like a pteridactyl(?) in the old movies. Great shot of the chicks. Pretty interesting creatures.

Tovar@AMindfulCarnivore said...

Nice pics, Albert, especially of the hawk. Had a sharpshin right by the house here the other day.