Sunday, April 17, 2011

Its Fledgeling Season Again! Feeding Baby Birds...

Hand feeding baby orphaned birds!
© 2011 Albert A Rasch and
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
$g&m f9bd 45kd q!?5.

My friends,

Well, the very first email of the 2011 "I found a baby bird could you help please" season has arrived:

"I witnessed a neighborhood cat kill a mother mockingbird. Then I saw four little babies hopping around the garden. The cat came back and got one baby. I was able to catch two, and then my dog killed the fourth. So, now I have two baby mockingbirds and have them in a cardboard box with stuffing and their old nest."

I'm lost and confused! Where's my Mommy?

As you all know, my most popular animal husbandry post has been "Feeding a Baby Mockingbird; Making Formula." Right along with it, and high in the rankings is my Knol, "Handfeeding a Baby Bird." Both are complete guides to raising a mockingbird should you find an orphaned baby in your yard.

(As an aside, stay on the lookout for what I am sure will be a super popular post "Hand Feeding a Baby Opposum!")

Keep in mind that unless, like Miss Lauren above, you witness the demise of the mother bird, or the fledgelings are in immediate danger, do not disturb, rescue, or otherwise interfere with any seemingly lost or abandoned animal. Try to wait forty-five minutes, observing the fledgling, before deciding to intervene.

Please email me with any questions you may have! theraschoutdoorchronicles(at)msn(dot)com

Remember that I have good information on handfeeding a baby bird and how to make formula for a baby bird on my two posts: "Feeding a Baby Mockingbird; Making Formula." and "Handfeeding a Baby Bird."

I am now at my new base, and I am looking forward to telling you all a little bit about it in the near future. Coincidently, I did see a couple of European Sparrows courting just a couple of days ago!


Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Albert Rasch In Afghanistan

No comments: